Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Greetings from Chiang Mai!

Hey everybody,
I made it to Thailand without too much trouble, and met up with Erin at our hotel. The plane rides were pretty long and uneventful. I did a lot of sleeping and sudoku-ing. The good part was that neither of my long flights were full, so I got to have an empty seat next to me and lots of room to spread out. I spent Sunday night in the Bangkok airport, which is a pretty nice airport, but the benches there don't make the most comfortable bed ever. I still managed to get some sleep and woke up with a slightly sore neck.
I got to Chiang Mai yesterday (Monday) morning. I took a nice nap in the sun out by the pool Erin and I spent the day wandering around town. I got a Thai massage which was really relaxing, and felt amazing after so many hours of sitting in airplanes. My masseuse was a guy, so I felt a little awkward when he was massaging my butt....luckily that part didn't last too long. I also got to go to Starbucks yesterday, which made me feel right at home! They have a few Starbucks here in Chiang Mai, and about a million 7-Elevens. Last night we went to the outdoor market near our hotel and I bartered for a couple cool souvineers.
Today has been nice and relaxing as well. I went with Erin to her conference thing this morning. It was basically a time of worship and the president of Cornerstone University gave a message from Phillipians which was really good. After a really good lunch at Mike's -- a burger joint down the street from our hotel -- I watched TV and wrote in my journal while Erin had some stuff to do with her teammates from China.
I'm really excited for tomorrow. I signed up for a tour where I get to go trekking in the jungle, ride an elephant, and go white water rafting. I think it will be lots of fun, and the lady that I booked it through was super nice and gave me a really good deal -- only 850 baht. (100 baht is about $3.)
Anyhow, that's all I've got for now. Hopefully I'll get a chance to write again soon. Hope you're all doing well!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mel, I wish I could join you tomorrow on your trek through the jungle and the white water raft ride -- not so sure about the elephant ride. :) I hope you are taking lots of pictures. Stay safe! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete