Friday, January 23, 2009

Today I finished my first official week of work. I really enjoyed it too!
A few highlights:
- Learning about the projects that I'll be working on in Kenya and Nigeria. This morning I even got to meet our Kenyan client and he shared with us about his vision for the prayer center that he wants to build in Nairobi. It was pretty inspiring to see how excited he was about it.
- Scott and Laura Powell, two of the EMI staff, set up a scavenger hunt for the interns so that we could get to know the area a bit. We split into teams and had to run around downtown taking pictures of various statues and picking up menus from various restaurants, etc. It was fun, and my team won, so that made it even better.
- Every Friday, the interns volunteer at the local soup kitchen, so today was our first day of doing that. It was nice to get out of the office for a couple hours, and we got free lunch :) There were soooo many people there for lunch. I was surprised how many kids and teenagers there were, it was sort of sad, but nice to be able to serve them.

I pretty excited for the weekend too. It'll be good to have soem time to rest, and hopefully finish my laundry finally. Hope you're all doing well wherever you are! I'd love to hear from you sometime. You can email me at melhaagsma@gmail.com or send snail mail to:
Melanie Haagsma
EMI
130 E. Kiowa St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903

No comments:

Post a Comment