Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Volunteering at the Library...

So as you may or may not know, I've been volunteering at the library a couple days a week for the past several months. It's not the most thrilling work ever, but it's more exciting than sitting at home all day, and it looks better on a resume. I spend most of my time putting books on the hold shelves for people to pick up....sometimes I see one that looks intriguing and add it to my list of books I want to read, or in the case of yesterday I read through most of I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar while working. Good book.

Anyhow, I'm mostly writing about this because I find some people's names and what books they check out to be rather entertaining. The hold slips that we put in the books give people's names as the first four letters of their last name and the first three letters of their first name, so mine would be: HAAG MEL, not so bad. Other people's names end up being more interesting such as KRAP HOL, NISE RAK, YUOE SUC, and plenty of others that I'm not remembering right now....

It's also entertaining to see what people put on hold. One woman (I'm hoping it was a woman...) put 12 books about how women can have a better sex life on hold at once....was it really that much of a problem for her? Maybe check out one book at a time so people don't think you're a weirdo. Last week another person had 23 of the "for Dummies" books on hold, I don't know why....apparently they were learning French and Spanish; planning trips to Italy, New York City, and France; and having trouble figuring out a multitude of normal everyday skills such as cooking, computers, facebook, and knitting among others. There's also a family who's reading through every single Berenstain Bears book ever written, and several people that only check out weird Japanese Manga/Anime books....I really don't understand the appeal....

No comments:

Post a Comment