Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Backpacking

Since my last post was somewhat depressing, I decided I should update you all on a slightly more exciting part of my life....

Last night I returned from a 3 day, 2 night backpacking trip. I've been wanting to try backpacking for quite a while, and it finally happened. I absolutely loved it! It was just Jared and I, and he carried most of the heavy stuff (tent, food, etc)...I felt sort of guilty, but he didn't complain. Luckily I was able to borrow a backpack and other supplies so I didn't have to buy my own equipment. We went backpacking near Lake Wenatchee (which is a couple hours east, in the Cascades), and we hiked about 8 miles each day. The weather was perfect, and the scenery was beautiful. We hiked through a valley/meadow area and then up to Spider Gap where we had a great view of the mountains and a lake down below. We decided to hike down to the lake because it didn't look very far away....we were wrong about that! The farther we hiked the farther away the lake seemed, but we made it. There was also a huge glacier and a really cool waterfall in the valley. Jared has all the pictures on his camera, but I will post some on facebook or picasa as soon as I can get them from him. I'm feeling pretty worn out today, and my legs are covered in mosquito bites, but it was worth it! By the way, if you ever go backpacking, I recommend macaroni and cheese for supper. It was easy to make and tasted amazing after a long day of hiking. Oh, and I nearly forgot to write about this, but we got up in the middle of the night to do some stargazing, and I saw a shooting star for the first time in my life! Actually I saw three of them. I was pretty excited.

In other news, I have a couple possible leads on a housing arrangement, but no leads on jobs yet. I wish it was the other way around. Having a job would make the living situation so much easier...and more affordable!

1 comment:

  1. Mel, I'm glad you're able to make lemonade out of lemons so far. Keep in touch, OK? I'm usually only in the office in Monroe on Fridays because I'm spending so much time up in Oak Harbor. But don't be a stranger, OK?

    Doug

    ReplyDelete