Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dancing, Dessert, and Other Things

Well, it's been awhile since I last posted, so I thought it was time for another update about what's been going on in my life lately. I'm still unemployed unfortunately, which is getting pretty annoying, but I've been having too much fun keeping busy with other stuff to get too depressed about it. Plus I feel that at least for now I'm right where God wants me to be, so I'm just trying to stay focused on living for His glory and trusting that eventually He'll work out all the details.

One thing I've been keeping busy with lately is swing dancing, which I'm really loving. My friend Kristin and I have been taking lessons, so we're getting pretty good if I do say so myself. I'm excited to test out my new skills at my sister's wedding this summer!

I've also been getting involved with Seattle Against Slavery, which I think I may have mentioned before. This past Tuesday the International Justice Mission held a benefit dinner in Seattle, and a bunch of us who are involved with SAS hosted tables and invited our friends to come hear about the amazing work that IJM does and how SAS is working to support them and other organizations like them. My friend April and I co-hosted a table and got six of our good friends to join us. We all had a great evening and were very inspired by the stories that Gary Haugen (President and CEO of IJM) shared. It really got me fired up about wanting to do more to help the fight against human trafficking, and I've been praying that God would show me new ways to do so. If you haven't heard of IJM before, go check out their website (www.ijm.org) to learn about their work rescuing slaves. It's really amazing!

Well, I'm supposed to be spending this afternoon applying for jobs, so I guess I should get back to that. Though my friend Krista and I are in the preliminary brainstorming stages for opening a non-profit bakery/dessert shop, so if things take off with that, maybe I won't be looking for jobs too much longer. :-) We'd be happy to hear from any of you out there who have experience with starting a small business or who have extra cash lying around that we could use to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment